Original Files and Materials
Submitted by Fred on Wed, 07/07/2004 - 2:02pm. Case File
Campaigns for People (CFP) released today a groundbreaking study showing that Texas' state senators spend most of their campaign contributions on living and office expenses, and not on campaign activities.  The study finds that Texas state senators spend only 40% of their contributions on campaign activities, with the remaining 60% going for lifestyle (35%), office (20%), or miscellaneous (5%) expenses.  The study calls for major reforms to overhaul, what Fred Lewis, CFP's President, calls "Texas' broken, conflict-ridden system".
Submitted by Fred on Fri, 04/23/2004 - 8:53am. Case File

The Ethics Commission has consistently stated that PACs can't spend corporate money on political activity and can spend such funds only on routine administrative expenses. Ethics Opinion 132(1993) says:

Our guide for determining whether a particular expense is "administrative" is whether the expense is one that would be incurred in the normal course of business by any active organization, whether or not it engaged in political activity. Expenditures on office rent, utilities (gas, water, electric), and general office supplies are examples of items that could be classified as administrative in nature.
Submitted by Fred on Wed, 04/14/2004 - 6:58am. Case File
This report by Campaigns for People shows the disproportionate political influence that wealthy donors have on school finance issues in Texas. The report finds that while only 12% of students live in 134 wealthy school districts that share revenue under recapture ("Robin Hood") with 920 poorer school districts, residents of those wealthy districts gave 27% of all campaign contributions in 2002 in Texas. The report asks whether it is possible to create a world-class and equitable school finance system for all children in Texas when we have an anti-competitve, anti-democratic campaign finance system.
Submitted by Fred on Mon, 04/12/2004 - 1:13pm. Case File

On April 9, 2004, the Federal Elections Committee entered an agreed order and $280,000 fine against the National Republican Campaign Committee as to laundering of corporate money in 1999. Jim Ellis, director of TRM, was involved in the 1999 transaction, which is similar to TRM's transfer of $190,000 in corporate money to RNSEC, which sent 3 weeks later to 7 TRM candidates checks totaling $190,000.

TRM and Ellis maintain the $190,000 transfers are coincidences, but the FEC order suggests Ellis has a history of corporate money laundering.

Submitted by Fred on Fri, 03/19/2004 - 11:02am. Case File
A copy of the Houston itinerary of Rep. Beverly Woolley with notes on the amounts given by contributors and what legislation they were interested in obtaining
Submitted by Fred on Wed, 03/03/2004 - 9:25am. Case File

View TRM's 2002 Tax Return for yourself see what the fuss is all about. In particular, see page 1, lines 12-15 and page 11, line 44 and Part III.

Submitted by Fred on Wed, 03/03/2004 - 8:50am. Case File

In an attempt to intimidate District Attorney Earle, a petition is being circulated to defund the District Attorney's Public Integrity Unit and transfer his powers. We believe this radical effort to stop the TAB and TRM investigations undermines the rule of law and our system of checks and balances. Read the petition and decide for yourself.

Submitted by Fred on Wed, 01/28/2004 - 4:43pm. Case File
Submitted by Fred on Mon, 01/12/2004 - 6:30pm. Case File
Submitted by Fred on Mon, 01/12/2004 - 3:27pm. Case File